New Blog Site - Miss Mediocre

For more recent gamer blog posts writen by J.W.P please visit www.missmediocre.com

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Xbox Live Chat, What is Wrong With These Kids!?


Alright, so this will be my first post that isn't directly about a game, but this has been bothering me for some time! I really like the Xbox 360, and play it a lot (obviously). One of the games that I had played quite a bit was Gears of War. I have always been in to the pvp type shooter games, and I really enjoyed this one. What I didn't enjoy was the stuff coming out of my headset from the other players!
Most of the people talking in the chat were young teen boys, but there were older guys in there as well that were just as bad. The language coming out of these kids was just crazy! Like, I didn't even know most of those words until recently! What really upset me most was the amount of racial comments that these kids were throwing around. The things that people say on Xbox live and the names they call their friends are horrible! It really makes me wonder like, where are these 12-15 year old's patents when they are talking like that?!
Of course, if you try and say anything to these trash talking teens, they turn on you, and more so for me I think because I was a girl. I always tried to be nice about it, you know just saying things like, "wow, that's really unnecessary" or "I think a lot of people would take offense to that word, so you might not want to say it so much" but they really couldn't care less what I say.
It never really bothered me if they turned on me, because there are less girls playing and the gender related bashing was easy to ignore, and at least then they weren't going off on someone because of their accent or the way they talked. It just really makes me wonder where these kids are picking up such foul racial slurs, like, do their parents talk that way? If so, just wow!
I know there really isn't anything Xbox can do about it, other than what they already have with giving a player a bad review, but so many people have to give someone a bad review before they are even looked at, and most of these kids are playing with their friends and only a few people they don't know who would give them a bad review. It really has ruined any Xbox live game for me though. I haven't even tried any of the newXbox live shooters like CoD4. I don't play any game where voice chat is needed anymore(well, not needed, but helpful if you are playing in teams at least). The kids on there are like vultures, as soon as they hear an accent or a girl's voice, it's like they attack!
I play another game that is online with a lot of people, and most of the time you have to be in big groups with other players. This game has a "reporting" feature though, so if someone is being racist or rude or threatening in any way, there is always someone around for you to tell. The person then gets a punishment that suits their offenses, whether it is a few hour suspension from the game, or a week suspension, or if it happens enough a ban. Because of this feature, I never run into any racist comments or gender related harassment or anything that would make me not want to play the game anymore. Just the overlying threat that someone could report you if you get out of line, seems to make everyone behave like decent human beings, which is a really nice change from the Xbox live group.
I don't know if it is possible for Xbox live to get a feature like this, or perhaps there is one out there already that is just not really known about, but I know personally that such a feature would definitely spark my interest in a lot of games that I have walked away from because of the uncontrollable verbal abuse leaking out of those kids. I really hope they learn that such talk is not acceptable in the world today soon, otherwise, what kind of future generation are we looking at?!
Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

No comments: