New Blog Site - Miss Mediocre

For more recent gamer blog posts writen by J.W.P please visit www.missmediocre.com

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Possible WoW Related Scam?

So I checked my e-mail today, and I saw I had a letter from Blizz that was entitled "Warning: Possible Account Closure" I quickly opened it up, not sure why but anxious to find out what had prompted such a letter. The e-mail said the following:

Greetings,


An investigation of your World of Warcraft account has found strong evidence that your account is being sold, traded, or is being used to sell in-game currency. As you may or may not be aware, this conflicts with our EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here:

WoW -> Legal -> End User License Agreement

and Section 8 of the Terms of Use found here:

WoW -> Legal -> Terms of Use

The investigation will be continued by Blizzard administration to determine the action to be taken against your account. If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account will be suspended or terminated. In order to keep this from occurring, you should verify that you are the original owner of the account as soon as possible.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage:
https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/login/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldofwarcraft.com%2Faccount%2Findex.html

We obtain this information due to a variety of circumstances; some of which are:
I) User generated reports
II) A post on an account selling/trading website
III) Sudden Internet Protocol address changes

Only Account Administration will be able to assist with account retrieval issues.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Regaurds,

Account Administration Team
Blizzard Entertainment Inc
P.O Box 18979, Irvine,CA 92623

I read it over a few times, still unsure how any of those things could be applied to any of my accounts. I barely ever play anymore and certainly am not selling gold or characters! I logged into each of the 4 WoW accounts that I have (not all are currently active, lol) to try and see if there was some kind of note on my account or anything, but there wasn't. Then I realized something! The address that I received the e-mail at is not the e-mail address I use for any of my accounts. I did not click on any of the links in the e-mail, but I am wondering if perhaps this letter is a fake and the links go to some virus infested website somewhere! I don't really want to click one and find out, just in case, lol but I was wondering if any of you other WoWers out there have gotten a similar e-mail?? All the links look like they go to the same place if I check their properties, except the last one, which says it goes to "http://by120w.bay120.mail.live.com/mail/InboxLight.aspx?n=592249740" and that it is 55844 bytes, but I have no idea what that could mean! haha... The address it came from looks legit, "noreply@blizzard.com" but it doesn't make sense that I'd receive such an e-mail with that e-mail account and they did spellregards wrong I think... Anyways, if any of you have gotten such an e-mail Or if you have an idea about how Blizz sent me an e-mail at an address that isn't connected to my accounts, let me know! If it's some sort of scam, it seems like it could be a good one and we should let people know about it!

1 comment:

Adamantyr said...

It's a fraud.

No company that knows what it's doing online would ever send you a link to their login page, because that's how phishing e-mails work. The fact the "link" does NOT go to the link address it shows in the mail is absolute proof it's a scam.

I got caught by one masquerading as an eBay notification because I had an active auction at the time and it said something about a charge of non-payment being filed. I panicked and hit the link, then only realized my error afterwards. They'd set up a dummy login page to capture my user name and password, and then it redirects to the official page so you never know what happened. Since I caught it right away I was able to change my user name and password immediately to block any attempts to access my account.