New Blog Site - Miss Mediocre

For more recent gamer blog posts writen by J.W.P please visit www.missmediocre.com

Friday, April 4, 2008

Getting Into A Raid Guild: WoW


So I have been trying to get into some of the 25 man raids recently. When my latest guild broke up I was heartbroken and yes, even cried A VERY TINY BIT, lol, and basically swore that I was done with guilds, but they are kind of addicting! I have everything I could ever hope for and more from Kara, so I thought it was time to try out something a little more challenging. I posted on the WoW forums that I was looking for a guild. I have pretty good +healing with my pally so I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to get into a guild that was currently moving through SSC/TK. I only had a few responses to my post, and only one was appealing enough for me to follow up on.

I applied to the guild on their website. The application took me like an hour to fill out, and luckily I love filling out any kind of questionnaires, haha so I didn't mind. (You can see my app here if you wanna read my awesome application skillz, haha) It didn't take long for them to get back to me, and soon I had a time set up to "try out". This was something new to me because I have never joined a guild without like 3 of my friends being there first, so I've always just been invited without hesitation. I was sort of excited to test out my skills though and see if I could impress these people.

So my time to raid ended up conflicting with other stuff so I had to postpone, but then they invited me to a TK run later on. I didn't have much time to prepare, and didn't really know how much preparing I would need, so I sort of just played it by ear. Once I was there it turned out there were all these needed addons I was missing and some strategy I had to read for a fight I had never even heard of... It was a bad start for sure, and was a bit overwhelming! Turns out they just expected me to have researched the instance and read their guild strategy and stuff without being told to do so, so that was kind of discouraging. I am super into WoW, but not so much that I spend my free time looking into how to do bosses I never think I'll find myself at...

Once I got over the initial shock of being horribly unprepared, I started to enjoy myself a little. The Phoenix was an easy fight to follow, and I didn't blow anyone up in the Solarium, but I did have a bit of trouble avoiding the big electric balls flying around from the Void Reaver. I was assigned to heal one specific tank, and so I focused on him mainly, figuring that a guild this advanced would know that a healer isn't measured on overall healing done in a raid, but weather or not they keep their target up throughout...

After the raid no one said anything to me, so I checked the forums the next morning and still nothing about how I did or what they thought of me or if I was in. I posted a thank you for letting me join them on the raid, and then they posted a link to some stat site that tracks how everyone does in a raid, saying that it "didn't look that pretty" but that they understood there was a large learning curve... I didn't let my tank die any time there wasn't a wipe and I never caused the raid to wipe by doing anything stupid, but all they cared about was my overall healing in the raid I guess. I was always healing the offtank, so of course my healing was lower than the main tank healers and the dps healers...

I figured I was done 25 mans at that point so I joined my friends guild that farms Kara and ZA but has yet to start the bigger raids, and started to settle in. Then the raid guild I had been trying out for said that they would get me in on another raid to see if I did any better and that I should read up on TK, SSC and Mount Hyjal... I did, and watched movies on every single boss and hours and hours later I was somewhat familiar with it all.

I went to SSC with them last night. It was my first time there, but they were short on healers so there were a few PUG members so they ended up explaining everything that I had spent so long reading about. I don't have a working Damage Meter/ Heal Meter right now, so I have no idea how I did for overall raid healing, but I think I caught on quick. I healed who I was supposed to, never died when it was avoidable, and didn't roll on any loot. Near the end someone whispered me and said that I was doing well, but it wasn't the raid leader who I had been talking to about joining. After the raid as before, no one said anything to me about my performance or what they were thinking about weather or not they would let me join.

They are obviously low on healers right now, but they are still making me jump through hoops to get an invite (or so it seems anyways). I guess this is probably how all of the 25 man raid guilds work, but it just seems like a huge power trip on their part! I get that people have to try out so you can make sure they are not noobs and know how to play their character, but if you have someone trying out, you should pay attention to that person so they don't have to wait around for you to make up your mind. I am good at WoW. I learn quick and I heal well. I am always on time, always have regents, always buff what I am supposed to, always have enough pots and oils and foods and flasks. There are some total idiots raiding SSC and TK and such out there, but I can't get into one???

Yeah, so I haven't been "denied" yet. They denied my friend's application because... it was too jokey I guess, although no one told him it was declined, they just said they would get back to him and then asked me to get him to come along last night even though he was declined, which is the only reason we found out. I don't even care if I get in at this point though! I play WoW because it is fun, not to spend hours and hours of my time trying to prove myself worthy of a group who still wipes 6 times in SSC and hasn't downed Vashj yet. When they talk to me they are nice, but their "elitist" attitude has really turned me off 25 mans! At this point I am pretty sure I will just stick with my Kara/ ZA friend's guild and get some badge gear. They are very nice to me, plus they use vent! I can't stand Teamspeak (which the big guild uses), it sounds like everyone is yelling through a big tunnel!

Obviously I don't handle rejection well, haha, but I've never had to damnit! I guess I haven't been "rejected" yet, but still! I would rather be the hottest fish in the pond than the one jumping through hoops while no one is watching!

Digg!

Add to Technorati Favorites



4 comments:

Jennie said...

As an afternote, they posted the same stat site for me to look at, I guess perhaps it was their answer?? I did 8% of the total healing out of 8 healers and had a 39% overheal rate. I guess that is pretty bad? But I thought I did well enough. Oh well, back to solo healing Kara for me I guess?? haha...

Adam said...

I don't think anybody I know could of done as well. If it were me there would be mistakes made left and right. At least the first encounter... but after that you adapt. Some people never adapt at all though and the fail over and over...

Unknown said...

Some WoW players seriously seem like they have had thier Fun Glands removed.

Adamantyr said...

I can't stand raids, and raiding guilds are equally as bad. I wish Blizzard hadn't borrowed the idea from Everquest.

They seemed to have picked up on the fact that people were only raiding because of loot quality; the heroics in Burning Crusade are much more popular. They don't seem to have picked up on that for WotLK, though, since it still has raids.

I wonder if they'll ever get around to retooling the old world stuff, since it's pretty much impossible to find anyone willing to do the old raid dungeons.