New Blog Site - Miss Mediocre

For more recent gamer blog posts writen by J.W.P please visit www.missmediocre.com

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Call of Duty 4 - Don't Cry, Its Just a Game!

So I have just recently gotten into the CoD4 craze. When the new maps came out is really when I gave the game a good try. I have a lot of friends who play every day, including my roommate. I think that the main reason I had avoided the game this long, is because of how much yelling seems to take place whenever someone plays, lol. I would often make fun of my roommate for his countless outbursts, but after a few hours, I was doing a bit of yelling myself, (mostly for comedic value, but there was a bit of frustration behind it, lol).

I was first drawn to the game when I checked out the new maps because it has really really good graphics! So, I got me a machine gun and some martyrdom and went nuts . . . I was bad, like really bad when I started! The only kills I could get were when people would get blown up by the grenade I would drop when I died, but as I played more I got a bit better. It was a hard transition from games like Gears of War and Halo, because every time I would see someone, I'd try and duck or jump to avoid their bullets, which doesn't work at all in CoD4.

It is more difficult than GoW or Halo in a lot of ways. You can't just fire off rounds like an insane person and get kills for one because then people will know where you are and come kill you, and because you have limited ammunition. I was always a big fan of the shotgun in GoW, but really you never get close enough to people in CoD4 to make the shotgun useful. Well, there were times people were close enough, but I'd always get stabbed before I could shoot them, haha.

I guess it's level of difficulty is what makes it popular. It takes a lot more concentration and patience than most online shooter games. What makes people freak out at the game though is the lag I find. Sure people will yell out the odd obscenity when they get snipped or blow up, but when people really get into a good freak out, it is almost always because of lag. The lag can make it so that you see someone in front of you, you shoot them many times, and they simply turn around and shoot you once and kill you. Basically you will get "ahead", try to kill someone, but then have to wait as other players "catch up". It is something that is basically unavoidable, but in a game this difficult, it can make for some shouting and possible xbox controller biting, haha.

The people that I know who play CoD4 have some rules they abide by if they want to play (to avoid xbox and personal injuries . . .)
1) Never play when overtired
2)Never play when hungry
3)Never Never play when overtired and hungry!
Also, one of my friends is anxiously awaiting a Nerf xbox controller to be invented, haha. He tends to break things with his when it goes bad in CoD4.

Despite the difficulty and the lag and all the trash talking kids that you cannot escape on xbox live, CoD4 can be really fun. You just have to go into it with a light hearted attitude and when you stop having fun, stop playing! lol.

Digg!

Add to Technorati Favorites


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Imo Cod4 is the best Online multiplayer first person shooter out there on any console (PS3/pc/360).
Its alot of fun and ia gree, its pretty addictive especially when your owning it up a little.
Plus i think its much beter than t3h haloz.