New Blog Site - Miss Mediocre

For more recent gamer blog posts writen by J.W.P please visit www.missmediocre.com

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Vampire:The Masquerade, Bloodlines


So as I've mentioned previously, I haven't been able to play any of my beloved online games in a while, so I've been dusting off some of my old offline games. One of my favorite games of all time is Vampire: the Masquerade, Bloodlines, and I have been meaning to blog on it for ages, but wanted to play through it again first as a refresher. I finally got around to reinstalling it onto my computer a couple days ago, and I've gotta say the game is just as fun playing through it another time!


The only type of vampire I had beaten the game on was a Venture and this time I have been playing through as a Malkavian. I had started to ages ago but never made it farther than Santa Monica. I am pretty sure Malkavian is my favorite of all the clans! Seeing as how I have already beat the game a few years ago, I sort of remember the story and what happens at the end, and all the way through your character says weird cryptic things that have to do with all the things you don't find out until the end of the game, which is fun. I also love how the Malkavians speak, lol. They are so incredibly insane! I would love to go around talking like that for a day and just see how people react to me, lol.


The storyline is still catchy, even though I basically know what happens in the end, and I love using persuasion and the Malkavian special mind altering ability to get what I want =) I do like how strong the Brujahs are, but they are too ugly for me to get into playing, lol. I'd try a Toreador clan too, they are all sociable and stuff, but I don't like the look of the girl character at all, lol. I intend to try out a Nosferutu someday, because they have to keep to the sewers so it would be like a whole new play experience... There's also Gangrel, which are the more animalistic ones, that would be fun... and Tremere which are like blood sorcerers! Lol... I am sure eventually I will play through the game on each of the clans!


There are like so many bugs in this game... which is the only bad thing about it! Like, it is a fantastic game in every aspect except that it doesn't seem they did much polishing to it. It is basically impossible to play if you have a rather slow machine. I installed it on my lap top first, but it was so choppy I just kept running into walls, lol. There have also been a few times I've gotten stuck or cinematic parts have bugged out and stuff, but despite all those problems, I still love it!


Basically the story starts off with you being sired and then your sierer gets killed by the Camarilla Prince, Lacoix (the Camarilla are basically the people in charge of Vampires). They spare your life as an act to help public relations and send you out into Santa Monica. You do missions for a few other vampires in town who all basically use you and lie to you a bunch, but you end up getting most of them back in the end so it's not bad, lol. After Santa Monica, you can go to Downtown, and there's also Hollywood... and I'm not sure what other places there are... but there's little quests and everything for each area.


It is an older game, so the graphics aren't as fantastic as some of the games out there these days, and the bugs do get annoying from time to time, but it's still one of my all time favorite games for sure!!! Omg if they ever made it into some kind of MMORPG, it would be like my new WoW... haha. I really do hope they make another Bloodlines game someday!

2 comments:

Adamantyr said...

Vampire: Bloodlines is a very good game, probably one of the best story-wise to come out... Unfortunately, we're not going to see a sequel.

The original developers, Troika, literally shut down when it was released. This is why the game was so buggy and why even with 18 patches it's still not fixed. There are fan patches that mitigate this, but they also introduce fan biases, like making some quests more difficult.

Another issue is the setting itself; White Wolf (the creators of the Vampire: The Masquerade) has abandoned the original setting and did a "reboot" of the franchise. A lot of the clans and even the nature of vampiric powers are completely different in the new version. And they'll want to sell the new setting, alas...

Jennie said...

That is very dissapointing! I was wondering why I hadn't seen any kind of sequel yet =(