New Blog Site - Miss Mediocre

For more recent gamer blog posts writen by J.W.P please visit www.missmediocre.com

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Grand Theft Auto 4 - Liberty City

So I've never been that into any of the GTA games, although I have played them all a little over the years. I was always fond of driving around on motorcycles and trying to not crash and die, but I never really got into any of the stories. I got GTA4 a couple days after it came out, and have played it more than any of the other GTA games I tried in the past. I really like the main character Neko. You can play him how you want him, making choices and such, so he's more of an appealing character than some of the others have been. He's all tortured with a rough past and on some mission to get back at someone who screwed him like 10 years ago. His cousin Roman is hilarious too. The characters keep me interested.
There's a load of people doing drugs, racist and sexist things galore on radio stations, strip clubs, hookers, killing, bank robbing, a whole bunch of really unwholesome stuff (that I guess is GTA's thing). I mean, some of the rather bad things are funny, but most of the time I just find myself gaping at the TV screen being all like, "OMG did they really just say that!?" The game is definitely not for children or anyone who is impressionable in any way! I think the game would be just as good (if not better) without most of that stuff, but I know a lot of people only play the game for that shit. Not my thing, but I guess I get it. Just don't let your grandma catch you getting a lap dance or owning some hooker to get your money back . . .
There is something I have found kind of frustrating, but I think it is just because I'm not very patient when it comes to games. I hate how when you die in a mission, you have to start ALL OVER, including driving to the place to start the mission. I get that it makes the game more of a challenge and all, but for a game of that length, it just makes me be like, "OMG I am not doing that again!" and I turn it off for a few days. If I knew I was closer to the end, it wouldn't be that hard, making myself do things over again, but when I know there's still hours and hours of storyline and missions, well it just gets kind of overwhelming, haha. That said though, I do like that there is so much to the game.
Liberty City is neat to drive around in, and I like how there are secret ramps and jumps that you can get achievements for finding, and hunting pigeons is kind of fun too. Getting away from the police can be exciting, but also frustrating if you are in the middle of something. I stumbled across an Apachi? Helecopter on the first island, so I was able to get a 6 Star police chase going for 5 minutes by just flying around (which was an easy achievement). I really tend to get into games with a lot of achievements, and GTA4 has a ton!
Something that I find kind of cool, but some people I've talked to think is annoying, is your relationships with all your friends. You can take people out on dates and stuff and go bowling or drinking or go play darts, and for the activities, they are like mini games. Bowling is pretty fun, lol. As you go out with your friends more, they like you better and then will offer you things, like some guy will come sell you guns out of the trunk of his car, or there's some girl you can call who can heal you over the phone. You can also customize your cell phone, which is fun!
It really is an impressive little game, and I love Neko (although when he first gets off the boat he is dressed like a hobo and definitely needs a suit asap!). If you aren't easily offended, are not impressionable, and enjoy long games with lots of different types of play, I would definitely recommend grabbing GTA4. There is even Xbox Live play, but unfortunately I haven't been able to try that out yet, but I am sure it is sweet!

No comments: