New Blog Site - Miss Mediocre

For more recent gamer blog posts writen by J.W.P please visit www.missmediocre.com

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Frozen Oblivion


So, I had never had any problems with my Oblivion game until recently. It would get overwhelmed sometimes and take forever to load in like the middle of a town or something occasionally, but personally I had never seen it freeze up. Of course I am very careful with my disks when I am putting them in the 360 or taking them out, so I don't think I could have damaged it, and have not lent it to anyone in months.

Recently, like since the second last update for the game, it has started freezing on me. Sometimes it is when I am just about to start fighting something, or when I first go into a dungeon, but sometimes I am just wandering around and it randomly freezes. It never did anything like this before, and it wouldn't be so bad except it happens sometimes once every half hour!

I know this freezing is something new, because I have been playing the game a fair bit over the past month and it never froze! So, I am wondering what happened to it? The only thing I can figure is somehow maybe the updates messed it up? I don't know if that is even possible, and I tried to find some information on what the updates were supposed to do, but I couldn't.

What happens is the 360 window opens and says that the disk is unreadable and to eject, clean it, and put it back in or something. So, at first I figured it was my disk, but it is happening even when I'm playing in the Shivering Isles, so I don't know if that is the case anymore.

Basically I am just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems with their game. Maybe someone will have some input on what is wrong and how I might fix it, because there is nothing more frustrating than running somewhere you've never been before in the Shivering Isles and then having the game crash three times when you're almost there so you have to do it over and over! It is enough to make me not want to play anymore! Help!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard that on the 360 version of the game that every so often when you get the super slow loading problem you have to clean out your 360 cache files in system settings because they become fragmented and get accordingly addressed slowly by the system. I'm not sure if the freezes could be attributed to a similar problem but its possible.

Unknown said...

Oh and btw, oblivion still needs the disc on the 360 version for shivering isles because even tho the expansion is loaded onto the HDD it needs the core engine files and libraries from the original oblivion disc still.

Jennie said...

Hm, maybe I will give that a try and see if it helps! Yeah I figured it'd still need the disk and all, just thought maybe it might do it less if the problem was like a scratch on the disk or something...? Lol, I'm not sure how that all works! But it was still being unreadable just as much!

Thanx Daniel!!